The holidays are here and it’s that time of the year where there will be countless family events, potlucks, dinner parties, etc. There are some recipes that just have to be on my table during the holidays, and collard greens are definitely one of them.
This recipe is bomb and full of flavor . It has collard greens , cabbage , smoked Turkey , chopped veggies, and seasoning.
This recipe is different from my traditional collard greens recipe because I added cabbage . Mixed greens is a delicious way to enjoy collard greens . The cabbage adds a nice flavor and mixes perfectly with the collard greens.
How do you clean collard greens ?
After cutting them , Wash the collard greens in water and vinegar 2-3 times to get all the grit and dirt off the collard greens -drain and set aside.The water should be clear -that is how you will know they are clean
• 1 -1.5 pound smoked turkey wings
• 2 -3 pounds of collard greens , cleaned and chopped
• 1 small head of cabbage , sliced
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 tablespoon red onion, diced
• 2 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
• 3 tablespoon red bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 tablespoon garlic , minced
• 2 tablespoon white vinegar
• 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Add about 10 cups of water to a large pot and boil the smoked meat for 2 hours
2. Remove from heat then remove the smoked meat from the pot and set it aside
3. When the meat is cool, remove the meat from the bones, chop it , and set it aside
4. Reserve 3 cups of the liquid from the pot (we will be using it for the greens) and discard the rest of the liquid
5. In a large pot , heat olive oil for about 2-3 minutes then add the garlic, onion, jalapeño, and bell pepper
6. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until it’s tender
7. Add collard greens and reserved liquid then stir well
8. Add the smoked meat and vinegar then stir well
9. season with seasoned salt, pepper, cayenne ,and garlic powder then stir well
10. Allow the greens to cook for 30 minutes on medium low heat, stir every 10 minutes
11. Add chopped cabbage and cook for another 30 minutes, stir every 10 minutes
12. Taste the greens and determine if they are seasoned to your liking , if not add more seasoned salt and pepper
13. Cook for another 15-20 minutes then remove from heat
14. Serve and enjoy !