It’s officially the start of holiday season and I will be sharing holiday recipe ideas that you can not only use around this time of the year – but that will also be amazing anytime of the year.
This recipe is for scalloped potatoes and it tastes amazing! This is definitely a great recipe to accompany poultry like chicken , Turkey, Turkey wings , etc.
I love scalloped potatoes because they just scream comfort food. Normally I have to wait to go to a fancy steakhouse to get them but this recipe definitely surpasses the flavor of any restaurant I have had.
I parboil the potatoes for 8 minutes so that the potatoes cook evenly. When I previously made scalloped potatoes and baked raw potatoes, all of the potatoes did not cook evenly which resulted in some hard pieces of potato and some soft. That problem is now obsolete with this recipe.
As always if you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out for you !
Glam Kitchen Tips
-Do not substitute the heavy cream for anything – you must use heavy cream because of the thick texture
-If you are using a cast iron skillet make sure it is very large – if not it will overflow in the oven
-If you do not parboil the potatoes and add them raw – add 30-40 minutes of cook time to make sure they get fully cooked
2.5-3 pounds russet potatoes , rinsed, peeled, and sliced thin
2 tablespoon butter
2 + 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon garlic , minced
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 white onion , chopped fine
2 cups Colby Jack cheese
1 cup Gouda cheese
Fresh parsley (optional garnish )
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Boil a large pot of water
3. Add potatoes and allow them to boil for 8 minutes
4. Drain potatoes
5. In a large saucepan melt butter
6. Sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes or until tender
7. Add heavy cream
8. Add seasoning salt, black pepper , and thyme – stir well
9. Allow it to cook 4-5 minutes while stirring
10. Remove from heat
11. In a large deep cast iron skillet or deep baking dish spray non stick spray
12. Add a layer of the seasoned cream mixture
13. Add a layer of potatoes
14. Sprinkle Gouda and Colby Jack cheese
15. Spoon over some of the cream mixture
16. Add another layer of potatoes
17. Add seasoned cream mixture
18. Sprinkle remaining Gouda and Colby Jack cheese
19. Bake for 35-45 minutes
20. Remove from oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes
21. Serve and enjoy!
- 2.5-3 pounds Russet potatoes , rinsed, peeled, and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 + 1/2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ White onion , chopped fine
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese
- 1 cup Gouda cheese
- Fresh parsley (optional garnish )
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Boil a large pot of water
- Add potatoes and allow them to boil for 8 minutes
- Drain potatoes
- In a large saucepan melt butter
- Sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes or until tender
- Add heavy cream
- Add seasoning salt, black pepper , and thyme – stir well
- Allow it to cook 4-5 minutes while stirring
- Remove from heat
- In a large deep cast iron skillet or deep baking dish spray non stick spray
- Add a layer of the seasoned cream mixture
- Add a layer of potatoes
- Sprinkle Gouda and Colby Jack cheese
- Spoon over some of the cream mixture
- Add another layer of potatoes
- Add seasoned cream mixture
- Sprinkle remaining Gouda and Colby Jack cheese
- Bake for 35-45 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
I would love to try out this recipe but its calls for 3 pounds of potatoes. Its just me and my husband don’t need that much.
You can always freeze the leftovers ❤️
What can you substitute the gouda for?
Extra Colby Jack or sharp cheddar
Made these tonight with the air fryer lamb chops…baby listen 😋
Yassssss glad you enjoyed
Made these for dinner last night and subbed the gouda for mozzarella, very easy instructions to follow and they came out delicioussssss!!!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it !!!!!
Made these tonight to go with my steak 😋 I think I had too much sauce but still good.
So glad you enjoyed it !❤️
Hi…..How many people will this serve?
Hi – 6 -8