Growing up in south Florida , which is rich with many different cultures and cuisines – I ate rice daily. Rice and beans, Rice and peas , Seafood rice , and Pigeon peas and rice are kitchen staples. Now, even as an adult , rice is still on my weekly menu. Pigeon peas are actually my favorite type of bean and this rice recipe will surely become one of your weekday go to dishes. This dish combines items like garlic , bell pepper , tomato sauce , coconut milk, and parboiled rice to create a side that will compliment any meat. I would serve this with a side salad and a meat for the perfect dinner. As always , let me know how it comes out for you and enjoy !
◦ 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
◦ 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
◦ 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
◦ 1 small onion , minced
◦ 8 ounce can tomato sauce
◦ 1/2 cup coconut milk
◦ 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
◦ 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
◦ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
◦ 1/2 teaspoon sugar
◦ 1 (15 -16 ounce )can pigeon peas
◦ 1 sazon packet ( I used the Sazon Con Azafran packet)
◦ 3 cups parboiled rice
◦ 2 cups water
1. In a large pot that has a tight lid , add olive oil then sauté the onions, garlic , and red bell pepper for 2-3 minutes or until tender
2. Add tomato sauce , coconut milk , seasoned salt , sugar and pepper -stir well and allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes
3. Add can of pigeon peas and Sazon packet , stir well and allow it to cook for another 4-5minutes
4. Add rice , then stir well
5. Stir in water
6. Cover with lid , reduce heat to medium low and allow rice to cook for 25 minutes (do not remove the lid)
7. Remove from heat and allow it to rest with the lid on for 5 -10 more minutes
8. Fluff rice , Serve and enjoy !
Pigeon Peas & Rice
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 Small onion , minced
- 8 ounce Can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Can pigeon peas (15 -16 ounce )
- 1 Sazon packet ( I used the Sazon Con Azafran packet)
- 3 cups Parboiled rice
- 2 cups Water
- In a large pot that has a tight lid , add olive oil then sauté the onions, garlic , and red bell pepper for 2-3 minutes or until tender
- Add tomato sauce , coconut milk , seasoned salt , sugar and pepper -stir well and allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add can of pigeon peas and Sazon packet , stir well and allow it to cook for another 4-5minutes
- Add rice , then stir well
- Stir in water
- Cover with lid , reduce heat to medium low and allow rice to cook for 25 minutes (do not remove the lid)
- Remove from heat and allow it to rest with the lid on for 5 -10 more minutes
- Fluff rice , Serve and enjoy !
I saw you recently post your rice and peas on Instagram and decided to make some today as a side to some ham and coleslaw for dinner. And let me tell you, that rice was so so good!!!The coconut milk gave it such a delicious flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipes!!❤️
I am so happy you enjoyed it ! Thank you for supporting !!❤️
Can I make this with jasmine rice instead of parboiled rice?
What kind of coconut milk do you use? I made a rice with coconut milk not too long ago and the fat congealed on top. Still yummy, but it didn’t incorporate. Is that normal?
Hi, make sure you shake the can to make sure it equally distributed before adding it to the pot-I use an Asian brand that I normally get Fren my local Asian grocery store
Made the rice last night and it is soooooo good!!!
Can I use the box coconut cream and also why do you add sugar? Love your recipes.
Sugar is optional but I always add a little in my rice and peas and yes you can use coconut cream
If I use a different type of rice like long grain or jasmine rice will the measurements still be the same ?
Hi, yes they will