My Salmon Rasta Pasta Recipe is currently the top viewed blog recipe, and I thought it would make sense to share my absolute favorite type of Rasta Pasta-oxtail! What exactly is Rasta Pasta? Well I first found out about it because local restaurants and Instagram chefs were making it, so this is my spin on it. Oxtail is a meat that may not be sold in traditional grocers , although I have seen an increase of stores that are starting to offer it. In South Florida every store had it, but now while I’m Texas I noticed it’s not as common. This is not a quick dish, tender and tasty oxtails take time to prepare but I promise you it will be worth the wait! Now you can cut the cook time by using a pressure cooker, however I am very much so afraid of them lol so this recipe is made entirely by a pot. This recipe is sure to make everyone’s face light up, so I hope you enjoy! As always if you have any questions or want to share how it came out, email or DM me.
- 3 -4 pounds oxtail meat
- 2 teaspoon Glam Kitchen adobo all-purpose seasoning (shoptheglamkitchen.com )
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon wet jerk seasoning(I used the Walkerswood brand in mild)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon browning
- (I used the Grace brand)
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 sprigs green onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large bowl, clean the oxtail meat with vinegar and cold water before cooking.
2.After the oxtail meat is clean, in another clean bowl, season the meat with all-purpose seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice then add wet jerk seasoning,sugar,ketchup and browning-mix well.
3.Add thyme, minced garlic, and green onion to the bowl-mix the contents of the bowl well and allow it to marinate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
4.In a large, heated pot, add olive oil and on medium high heat, brown the oxtail for 6-8 minutes.
5.Reduce the heat to medium and add chopped onions, and red bell pepper, sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
6.Add water, give it another stir and allow it to cook for 3 hours (stir the contents of the pot every 20-30 minutes to prevent sticking).
7.Drain any oil from off the top of the finished oxtail gravy.
8.Your oxtail meat should be tender at the end of the cook time, if not allow them to continue to simmer on low.
9.Remove from heat
10.Serve over pasta
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium red bell pepper
• 1 medium green bell pepper
• 3 sprigs green onion (scallion)
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 5-8 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
• 16 ounces box of penne noodles
• 1/2 teaspoon Glam Kitchen All Purpose seasoning ( shoptheglamkitchen.com )
• 1/8 teaspoon Ground Black pepper
• 1 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning (I used the Walkerwood brand in mild )
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• Parsley to garnish (optional)
1. Cook noodles according to packaging, then drain and set aside
2. In a large pot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and garlic then cook for 1-2 minutes on medium high heat
4. Add the red pepper, green pepper, and green onion then sauté for 4-6 minutes or until tender
6. Stir in heavy cream, coconut milk, and chicken broth and allow it to simmer for 8-10 minutes while stirring every few minutes
8. Season sauce mixture with all purpose seasoning , pepper, jerk seasoning, paprika and thyme -stir well
9. Slowly Stir in Parmesan cheese and allow sauce to cook for 5-7 minutes (taste to make sure it’s seasoned to your liking-adjust if necessary )
10. Add the noodles to the sauce mixture and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes
11. Remove from heat and serve!